When you file a personal injury claim, it is important to realize that not every claim is equal. Some will be more effective than the rest due to thoroughness and preparation. The better the claim, the more likely you will be to collect full and fair compensation from the liable party that caused your injury. The question then arises, “What can be done to make your personal injury filing as effective as possible?”
Here are five steps and hints to help improve your own personal injury filing:
- Accept medical attention: When you are in any sort of accident that could have feasibly caused injury, even when you feel fine, you should contact your physician as soon as possible and get a medical evaluation. You might have underlying injuries that need attention, such as a brain injury after a car crash. Not seeing a doctor can increase your own liability as well, so this should definitely be a priority.
- Contact the police: Law enforcement should be notified following any traffic accident, or any sort of incident that involved illegal activities. Sometimes the best evidence to use in a claim are the reports written by police officers on the scene.
- Get copies: Speaking of different reports that can be used to improve your claim’s validity, you need to get copies of them all for yourself. Do not assume that others will create and store these copies for you.
- Beware lowball offers: If an insurance company tries to reach out to you to offer a settlement, it is time to be extra wary. Insurers are notorious for offering lowball settlements, or amounts that they know are not fair to you, the plaintiff. In most cases, you will not want to accept any offer or sign anything an insurance company puts in front of you without first talking to a personal injury attorney.
- Contact an attorney: Liability laws in California can be difficult to interpret unless you have completed a legal education and made yourself fully familiar with the nuances. By retaining an injury lawyer as soon as you can after being in any accident, you will eliminate the guesswork and ensure that no major oversights jeopardize your chance of success.
The Law Office of Michael R. Loewen and our Sacramento personal injury attorneys are adamant about injury claims and the rights of the wrongfully injured. We can provide you with advocacy and guidance backed by more than 30 years of total legal experience and a history of beneficial case results for our clients. Call 916.229.6776 to add a free consultation with our team onto your schedule.